Working At Heights Safety
Where employees perform work above 3 metres, the employer is responsible to ensure that staff performing that work are trained (whether that be done internally, or using an external training provider) on how to work safely and use the equipment safely according to manufacturer and OSH standards.
Regulation 21 of the HSE Regulations is the source of the often-quoted “three metre rule”. It is mistakenly believed that no controls are needed where a person faces a fall of less than three metres. That belief is wrong and ignores the overarching duties in the HSE Act.
The Height Safety course has been designed to give trainees both the theoretical and practical knowledge and awareness of height specific hazards, including:
- Hazards Associated with Different Height Work (e.g. Roofers, Scaffolders, Window Cleaners, Construction/Builders, Maintenance Workers and Inspectors)
- Hierarchy of Fall Arrest and Fall Restraint
- Fall Distances vs Forces Exerted on the Body
- Suspension Trauma
- Isolation of Height Hazards vs Minimisation
- Appropriate PPE
- Health & Safety in Employment Act, Regulations & Amendments (2002) and their impact on the height safety industry
The course objective is provide participants with the knowledge and awareness of hazards at height, set-up requirements and the impact that appropriate fall arrest systems have on improving workplace safety. The course is specifically written to include the contents of the following unit standards.
- 17600; Explain Safe Work Practices for Working at Height (One day course when conducted by itself)
- 23229; Use a Harness for Personal Fall Protection When Working at Height (Pre-requisite for 15757)
- 15757; Use, Install, and Disestablish Proprietary Fall Arrest System when working at height
Elective Unit Standard.
- 25045; Employ Height Safety Equipment in the Workplace (Can be run in the place of 15757 in the two day course)
Two day course - $500+gst per person.
Minimum of 6 people
This course includes theory and practical training
One day refresher course - $350+gst per person
Registration of NZQA credits on record of learning - $3.50 plus gst per credit.
One or Two days.